Who says you can’t have dessert if you are eating paleo? Thank you to Annette Vlahos for sharing this recipe.
1 cup of almond meal
1 cup of hazelnut meal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 pinch of salt
1 cup of honey
1/4 cup olive oil
zest and juice of 2 large blood oranges
6 room temperature eggs (very important that they are room temp)
1 cup coconut palm sugar (BLOND)
1 tablespoon arrowroot flour
zest and juice of 3 blood oranges
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking dish (10″L x 6/3/4W x 1 1/2H) with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, add the almond meal and hazelnut meal, baking powder and salt. Whisk to combine.
3. Add the honey to a large microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds or until it reaches a pouring consistency. Add the olive oil, blood orange juice and zest and whisk to combine. In a separate bowl, add the eggs and whisk. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
4. Pour batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until cooked through. (insert a tooth pick and if comes out clean – it’s ready). Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan. Wait at least 3 hours before pouring the glaze.
5. To make the glaze:
a. Put the coconut palm sugar and the arrowroot flour into the Blendec or Vitamix blender. MAKE SURE THE LID IS ON CORRECTLY. You don’t want dust flying around the kitchen. COVER the lid with a towel. And blend from low to high until it becomes powder sugar.
b. Place powder sugar in a bowl and add zest and juice and whisk until smooth. (You may need to add more juice for a smooth consistency, but 3 oranges worked for me.)
6. Once the cake is cooled, pour the glaze over the cake lifting up the paper on all four sides to get the glaze to get to the bottom. Next cut the cake. Let the glaze fall in between the slices so that it gets to the bottom.
Cake recipe by: www.ledelicieux.com
Glaze recipe by: Annette Vlahos