The inspiration for this recipe was the need to find something to take to a party. I saw a salad in a restaurant which I totally loved. Unfortunately, I could not identify all of the ingredients. I look online for some recipes and I found one that looked similar. I wrote down the ingredients and decided to change things a lot. The recipe was a great success, and I found myself wishing my friends wouldn’t finish it because then I could take some of the leftovers home. That didn’t happen. But since then, I make this easy recipe every time I have the chance. I love it, my wife loves it and my friends love it.
• 2 Trader’s Joes ready to eat beets, or 2 canned beets.
• 1/2 lb of fresh cherry tomatoes (preferably yellow)
• 1/4 can of artichoke hearts.
• 1 cup water
• 1 large shallot, minced
• 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
• Finely grated zest of 1 orange
• 1/4 cup chopped tarragon
• 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
• 1/4 cup chopped chives
• 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 1/4 cup celery leaves, for garnish
Cut the beets in cubes and add to a mixing bowl along with the tomatoes (cut in halves), and the artichoke hearts.
In a small bowl, mix shallot, vinegar and a large pinch of salt. Let stand for 10 minutes. Stir in the orange zest, tarragon, parsley, chives and oil; season with salt.
Stir the herb dressing and spoon over the beets.
Mix well and let sit for 10 minutes.