Nice job to those who tackled 14.3. We heard that some had a hard time with it, it is one of those workouts that really can’t be done again and again as it is very hard on your back. We hope you did awesome, if not, 14.4 is coming your way.. Enjoy the week everyone.
I have always been of the opinion that more of your success with CrossFit (and your overall life) has to do with your mental capacity more so than your physical capacity. The way the Elite CrossFitters think is the main reason why they are the Elite.
Here are the Mental characteristics of the Elite:
-They all have a coach. It is much more productive to have someone with a third party objective to help you skip unnecessary steps and push yourself further. The coaches at HGX are here to support you, take advantage of them.
-They are cool under pressure. If you were to watch their faces in the heat of competition in each event they are always in control, constantly breathing throughout the WOD and stick to their game plan. They know what to do and how to do it, they have practiced.
-They are always positive. I didn't see anyone complain about a WOD, movement, weight, etc... They understand that to be the best it doesn't matter what the WOD is, how HOT is was, how HEAVY the weight is, it only matters who they are. They trust themselves, their training, their support group around them, focus on the task at hand and block out any negative thoughts!
-They have appropriate goals and expectations of their performances. CrossFit is a numbers game. They know their numbers. They know what it takes to hit those numbers. They are focused on hitting those numbers.
-They don't worry about other competitors or uncontrollable factors. They understand that they are 100% responsible for their success. Their success has about nothing to do with anything outside of them and has everything to do with everything inside of them.
If you notice all of the techniques they use, you COULD use. I find that the elite are not that much further ahead than any of YOU. In fact, a lot of them were in your shoes at one point. They were on your physical and athletic level. The only difference is they have put the extra work, stretched they self belief/self-worth and are determined to reach their FULL potential.
Partially published by CrossFit 818
Because the Open is here.. I thought we should revisit the CrossFitter Mindset. Read below and enjoy the Open and the lifestyle of health and fitness you have chosen. Thanks for being part of the HGX family..
1) I will promise to do my best. My best will vary from day to day, from hour to hour, from minute to minute. But in that minute, I will do the very best than I can.
2) Lactic acid is my friend. The wind is my friend. Anything that opposes me is actually helping me to become stronger. If I had no opposition, I would be weak.
3) If I can run, I run. If I have to walk, I walk. When I am forced to crawl, I crawl. And then I rest and live to fight another day.
4) I fear no man but I fear my workout. If I don't fear my workout, it isn't hard enough.
5) I may puke. I may cry. But I will not quit. Ever.
6) I never cheat. There is no honor in cheating. What joy can there be in a victory I did not earn?
7) The workout missed is the opportunity missed. I will not cheat myself of the opportunity to become a better athlete and person.
8) I understand the value of the Push up, the Pull up, the Sit up, the Squat, and the Deadlift. Just as there are million ways to make chicken, so too there are a million ways to squat, sit up, pull up, push up, and dead lift.
9) I will give everything I have and then I will find more within myself.
10) I don't complain. Complaining is for crybabies. There are 11,232 babies born in the US everyday. I will leave the cryig to them and I will soldier on.
11) I will bite off challenges, spit out results, and beg for more. What are YOU going to do?
Originally published in Transformcrossfit
Conventional wisdom seems to be that fame, money, and the good life can come overnight. The success of tech entrepreneurs in Silicon Valley seems to happen from the thin air, just last week Facebook bought Whatsupp for $19 Billion. Even the reality singing competitions (American Idol, The Voice etc) show how one person can go from nothing to fame. But the reality is that these people work hard to get where they are, we just don’t see it. The truly good life—which comes from reaching your best and possessing a sense of fulfillment—cannot happen simply because you want it. You can’t pull it out of a hat; it can’t happen overnight.
Therefore, if you only give half of yourself, you only become half of who you’re supposed to be. We all need practice, and the more we practice the better we become at something and the more progress we make. HGX is a great place to practice to give it your all. If you give it your all, you will get a PR, that PR will make you feel awesome, that feeling will only strengthen your will. That feeling is transferrable to other areas of your life, including work. So give it your all, start at the gym.
It is estimated that the average human being has around 50,000 thoughts per day. That is a hell of a lot of thoughts, right? Some of those are positive and productive others are going to be negative, angry, fearful, and worrisome. Indeed the important question in terms of becoming more peaceful isn’t whether you are going to have negative thoughts – you are – it is what you chose to do with what you have.
We really have two tow options when it comes to dealing with negative thoughts. We can analyze them, ponder, think though, study, and think some more or you can ignore them altogether. This later option is far more effective. So when you are having negative thoughts… just ignore them and downplay them, they will go away if you don’t pay attention to them. CrossFit is a great way to practice dealing with negative thoughts. When you think you can’t do something, try again, the PR you want to set, mastering double unders, or getting that muscle up starts in your head.
Hope you are having a fantastic holiday season. Come to get your WOD this morning.. One class today at 9:00 am, Open gym until 11...